lørdag den 11. maj 2013

Super multiple charging station for phones, tablets & netbooks - Do it yourself

As the number of digital devises in the household increases we face new problems. Not being able to find the chargers and the arguing who’s charger has been found and who has the right to which power plugs and when. But the main problem is one of aesthetics – the messiness with all the devices, the chargers and the cords ruining the impression of the room.
There are a lot of charging stations on the market – but they are expensive and they are not flexible in respect with number of devices and the diversity of devices. At least haven’t I been able to find a charging station that suits our needs. So I’ve constructed one myself.

Super Multiple Charging Station
 



I got the idea when one of my friends told me about using a bread bin in order to get the charging devices out of sight. It didn’t work, though, and instead she bought a charging case from IKEA – but that were no good either. The combination of bread bin and IKEA made me think. And the next time my wife went to IKEA I volunteered to go with her.  I was thinking about a shoe storage box I’d seen. More appropriate, however, seemed a recycle box with the price tag of around 13 dollars (79 DDK, Danish Crowns)

I got the idea when one of my friends told me about using a bread bin in order to get the charging devices out of sight. I didn’t work, though, and instead she bought a charging case from IKEA – but that were no good either. The combination of bread bin and IKEA made me think. And the next time my wife went to IKEA I volunteered to go with her.  I was thinking about a shoe storage box I’d seen. More appropriate, however, seemed a recycle box with the price tag of around 13 dollars (79 DDK, Danish Crowns)

The box is made from an outer and an inner box making the inner box slide in and out as a vertical drawer.

So basically the idea is to have the chargers in the bottom of the inner box and draw the cords in the space between the inner and outer box making them available on top of the box for the smartphones and in top of the inner box for other devices as tablets and notebook/chromebook.
L: Inner box R: outer box

Pulling power cord out
Pulling power cord out of outer box
Inside inner box
1. Drill holes in the bottom back of the inner box for drawing out the cords. 2. Make holes in the top of the back of inner box for the cords to enter inner box for the netbooks and tablets. When making the holes be aware that they are big enough for the charging head – or you can slide between two holes and forces the head through. 3. Drill holes in top of the outer box for making the cords/charging head available on the top of the closed box.

Inner box back L: top



Attach power cords in the bottom of inner box pull it out and either in again in top of inner box or through the top of the outer box. Attach the inner box within the outer box. Put a piece of cloth over the messy cords and plugs and plug in the power cord you’ve pulled out of the whole box (As seen in picture 4 above)

My guess is that you'll be able to do this in an hour. You need a drill (size: 10-15 mm, a knife, a recycle box, a multiple power socket or two to combine). 

iPod, Android phones, Chromebook, iPad & Nexus 7 (iPad Mini and iPhone was out of the house)



3 kommentarer:

  1. Cool - consider sharing it on http://www.ikeahackers.net/ ?

    SvarSlet
  2. Hej Maren,

    Undskyld, jeg ikke har svaret dig. Havde ikke opdaget, at der var en kommentar til min post.
    Tak for din kommentar. Jeg deler gerne på ikeahackers.net - men hvordan gør jeg det? Kan ikke se, der er en publishing-mulighed. Må nok tjekke igen.

    SvarSlet
  3. Hej igen Maren,
    OK - jeg var ikke særlig grundig, da jeg tjekkede Ikeahackers. Fandt det i anden omgang.
    Endnu en gang tak for dit råd.

    SvarSlet